Saturday, September 26, 2015

Reflection on Project 1

Project 1 is finally over, and we must move on to project 2. But first, a reflection on the lessons learned in project 1...
Skip "Reflection" 07/07/2011 via Flickr CC BY-NC-ND 2.0

What challenges did you face during the Quick Reference Guide project and how did you deal with them?

The biggest challenge I faced in the construction of my quick reference guide was time. There were a wide variety of sources for my topic, because it was very broad. Sifting through information and doing the process work for the quick reference guide was demanding.





What successes did you experience on the project and how did they happen?

My initial draft contained analysis of only the key topics within the controversy. Peer review helped me understand what was missing.

What kinds of arguments, rhetorical strategies, design choices and writing practices did you find the most effective for your project? Why?

I tried to keep the writing process simple for my quick reference guide. The PIE process from the textbook helped me incorporate context, evidence, and analysis in a structured manner. Just getting a draft written and being able to revise it multiple times was a huge help.

What kinds of arguments, rhetorical strategies, design choices and writing practices did you find were not effective for your project? Why?

I found that use of social media sources was not particularly helpful in demonstrating arguments used for this controversy. Most debate among the general public regarding the issue is conducted in comments threads. Many people simply restate what was said in the blog or article, or reference other articles. It tends to be a matter of agreement or disagreement.

How was the writing process for this project similar to other school writing experiences you’ve had in the past?

The format of providing context, followed by evidence, followed by analysis is something that is fairly common in all genres of writing.

How was the writing process for this project different from other school writing experiences you’ve had in the past?

This project made me look at a subject from all perspectives. In typical essay-writing, the author takes a very specific stance in his thesis, which he supports throughout the essay.

Would any of the skills you practiced for this project be useful in your other coursework? Why or why not?

As an engineering major, most of my courses are focused on learning mathematic and scientific methodology and practical application of that methodology. As such, my primary writing genre will be the technical report. Although the two genres are quite different, I expect some similarities to surface as I continue my coursework.

No comments:

Post a Comment