Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Analyzing My Audience

The target audience is the driving force behind the rhetoric of a text. It is important to identify the audience before writing a persuasive argument in order to tailor the argument to the audience's viewpoint.

orkomedix "Audience?" 06/30/2009 via Flickr CC BY-NC-SA 2.0
Who am I writing for? What are the audience's beliefs and assumptions?

I am analyzing the rhetoric of an article relating to aerospace engineering for new aerospace engineering students to read. Aerospace engineering students value logic and efficiency. Engineers typically respect each other, and expect the designs of other engineers to be as logical as their own would be.

What position might they take on this issue? How will I need to respond to this position?

An aerospace engineering student would value a discussion of design, manufacturing, and testing of the F-35 more than an economical analysis. However, all engineering processes have a common goal of yielding an optimized product at a minimum cost. In my rhetorical analysis, I will have to make the author's reasoning for exclusively focusing on economics and incorporating spending statistics clear.

What will they want to know?

They will want to know whether David Francis, (the author of the article being examined), is qualified to pass judgement on the work of engineers. Additionally, the logical grounding of his argument will have to be closely examined.

How might they react to my argument?

As my argument takes a balanced approach to the issue, but is critical of Francis' strategies, my audience will likely agree with my viewpoint.

How am I trying to relate to or connect with my audience?

I will relate to my audience through by weaving engineering methodology into the conduction of my rhetorical analysis.

Are there specific words, ideas, or modes of presentation that will help me relate to them in this way?

By targeting ethos and logos, I will be able to appeal to the logical thinkers that compose the college of engineering.

I read Mika and Mehruba's posts about audience. They both have audiences who will rely on logic in making judgements, just like my audience of aerospace engineering majors. Overall, Mika and Mehruba did a good job of preparing to write a rhetorical analysis essay with a specific audience in mind. I think all of us understood the main idea of this post. It is necessary to address the views of your audience to write an effective argument.


No comments:

Post a Comment